Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Artist's 'Statement'


As a published artist, I find that I am asked, on occasion for an 'artist's statement'...here is a copy of one that I had to present recently. I read something similar a couple of years ago, though I can't remember now, where.

'Nebraska native, Charlene Murray Zatloukal, has spent much of the past 35 years, creating. In her creations she has found that life is a lesson in communication.
"We are what we think. And, we express ourselves in our thoughts, if not always in our actions."
"Painting is a dialogue that allows me to express myself without words. It is a silent witness of who I am and how I am feeling. I often find freedom in expressing myself in this manner, since I believe that more is said in silence than in words. Many things in life just "are."
It is my feeling that art does not need to be explained. If a painting does not speak for itself, no amount of explanation will convince the viewer of its value or justify its existence. I feel that a painting is a statement... good statements and bad statements and consistent with the 'inner' person.
My art is an opportunity for me to be myself without explaining myself. I am what I am. It is a personal statement of who I am and how I feel about the world around me."

For the past three years, my livelihood has come from online sales of my art.

For anyone interested in learning more about me, or my art, go to one of the following sites...

No comments: