Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A word about shipping.



Since we are getting closer to "that time of the year", when packages seem to take FOREVER to get from point A to point B, I thought I'd write a quick note about shipping.
I have used FedEx, UPS and USPS all, as my primary carriers, in the five years I have been selling my art online.
My preference...

UPS for large packages. You can print a UPS shipping label through PayPal and then just drop the package at a drop site. It tracks the package from check in through to delivery...very good, especially at this time of year.

For smaller packages, I use USPS. Again, you can pay and print through PayPal and just;
1. drop off at any Post Office
2. schedule a Pick Up...you have to have a Priority, Express, International or Return package to schedule a free Pick Up...but then, you can include all kinds of ground packages - up to 70 pounds...by including just one upgraded package.
3. For the smallest of ground packages, I can just put them in the mailbox and raise the red flag.
Pay and print shipping includes Delivery Confirmation, so...while you can't actually 'track' the package, you can see when it is finally delivered.
The only 'drawback' to pay and print shipping, through PayPal or the USPS...
you can't print First Class International Labels, those need to be taken
directly to the Post Office, paid for and sent out from there.
Soooo...I only send International packages once a week...usually on Wednesdays.
With my schedule, I just can't handle long lines at the post office any more often than that.

No comments: