Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Solitary Celebration

Today is my husband's birthday...
and I'm usually a little depressed on this day...
but
today I decided to do something a little different.
I'm having a 'solitary celebration' of sorts.
I'm scratching off Bingo tickets.

You'd have to know me to know this is not something
I usually do.

When we moved to Lincoln in 1997...my husband
started playing the lottery and the scratch off Bingo.
Even if he bought me a ticket to scratch off...I usually let
him do it.
He got more of a kick out of it than I did...
besides...
he ALWAYS won way more than I ever did.

I have continued to play the lottery numbers that he picked..
every single day...
and I haven't won nearly as much back as he did over the years.
He managed to almost 'break even'...and I admit
I'm a bit 'in the hole'...
but
I do it
because it is something he was very passionate about
and I figure
ONE DAY!

Anyway...when my sister and her husband
helped get my son here a week or so ago...she bought
a bunch of scratch off tickets.
Mostly the 1.00 and 2.00 tickets...
and managed to win most of her money back.
So..she kept playing.

When she got back to Wyoming
she discovered she had a bunch of winning tickets
that she couldn't do anything with.
So..she sent them to me.

I got tickets with all of the winnings...and won
a bit more than the tickets she sent me...
turned those in...won some more (but not quite as much)
and so on...
Finally I decided
BINGO
that was the game my husband played from the day we
moved here
until the day he went into the hospital for the last time...
and I turned my winnings in for a batch of Bingo
tickets...
We'll have to see...
Maybe I'll win BIG on his birthday:)




1 comment:

The Words Crafter said...

A very sweet tradition for a very handsome man. He looks like an actor in an old movie-playing a WWI or WWII pilot!

Find comfort in your private celebration and I'm sending him a birthday wish in Heaven.